Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Bye-bye MG and hello Digby...

So my MG went off to hibernate for 6 months in a friend's barn about 140km from here and we went on to see Annapolis Royal and Digby afterwards. Essentially, there is very little in either place, but they are very picturesque and Digby has a coffee shop which sells incredible triple chocolate cake and apple strudel coffee cake. Digby is on the bay of Fundy, that big bit of water between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. It's famous for its scallops which I've eaten in Halifax and are delicious. The Bay of Fundy is known for having the highest tides in the world, read all about on the Valley Web, we didn't have time to plan tide watching into our day, but apparently it's amazing as the tide appears from nowhere in no time and disappears as quickly... When we collect the MG maybe... So here are today's pics... Ellie in Digby...

Digby harbour...
Thomas in Digby and increasing layers of clothing...
Ellie in Digby again...
Humorous shop name of the day... Yes, that's me filling up the van. Somehow we ended up 230km from home at nearly 6pm, whoops, still as there is no traffic to speak of here, we were still home and eating pizza by 8:45 having completed all of the previously mentioned detours on the way home.We also had a fruitless (for MC) drive through Kingston, where Anne (formerly of Green Gables) went to college in her third outing, Anne of the Island. We couldn't find the old town where her college days were based so we'll be off there again I guess, it's a matter of supreme indifference to me might I add, but as Marie-Claude reminded, I dragged her to Hadfield (aka Royston Vasey from The League of Gentlemen). The Anne tour will kick off for real next year I fear when we head up to PEI (Prince Edward Island) on our hols, I think there is a trail to follow much the same as the LOTR (Lord of the Rings) trail in New Zealand, I know which one I'd rather be on, but then again, I did drag MC to Hadfield... LOL.
Finally we scurried on to Kentville, home of the "pumpkin people", somewhat like the scarecrow festival of Mahone Bay... At this time of year, everyone makes people with pumpkins for heads, unfortunately we got their at dusk (and a dark dusk at that due to the Kingston adventure - this is a developing story, more on it at the end of the post) so I couldn't take pics this year. Personally I'm glad there are some many other things to do with pumpkins other than eat them, they taste disgusting.
Also on the drive-through this time - Windsor the birthplace of Hockey (Ice Hockey if you are in the UK), didn't look round there either... More hockey this week btw, friday night out with other expats at the Dartmouth Destroyers.
Listening to: The Killers, All the Things That I have Done courtesy of 1 FM www.1.fm (the Alternative Rock Mix), my two discoveries of recent days are the aforementioned 1 FM and radio Wazee (www.wazee.org), I prefer Wazee, but it seems to have connection problems tonight.
Anne of Green Gables update: She didn't actually go to college in Kingston, she went to Kingsport which meant we were in the wrong place by about 57km according to GoogleEarth. Oh and by the looks of it, if there's a college there, that's about all!
That's my 100th entry in this blog... Pat on the back for me.

No comments: