Friday, September 23, 2005

S H O P P I N G . . .

We have been shopping now for four and a half days more or less without a break. We both hate shopping now... Off the top of my head, we have bought (in no particular order) mop, bucket, dustpan, brush, THX cinema amp, HDD/DVDR, Roku, Zen Micro, microwave, sauce pan, frying pan, pegs, clothes horse (I feel like I'm on the Generation game...), expresso machine, sandwich toaster, regular toaster, lunch box (for Ellie, she starts French pre-school on Monday), the aforementioned leopard/zebra/tiger sleeping bag, chinese steamer thing, popcorn machine, food processor, food, vacuum cleaner, Fisher Price "Little People Garage" for Tom, Little Mermaid "Action figures" for Ellie, Hungry Hippos (for all of us it seems), photo printer, hair drier (hers), hair clippers (his!)... And the list goes on...
Special mentions for the Amp, a Pioneer with THX sound, I can barely wait for my 10 speakers to arrive from the UK - it will need 8 of them... The Roku, google it. The sandwich toaster machine - a mere $10 - ridiculus price. The popcorn machine - I thought MC was joking, but it's brilliant!
We are committed to not shopping for two days now - tomorrow we're off to Peggy's Cove weather permitting to do the tourist thing. Sunday won't be much of a problem as we still have Sunday closing by law!
Four more "sleeps" now until our furniture arrives (a much more homely batch of pics will follow when it's all in the house!) - our container has been "tailgated" meaning customs are going to open it to look at the car - they do it to all cars apparently. This has caused much running around and form filling and us being told today we need to take a driving test - having landed a mere 1600km from here to avoid just that - still we'll see about that - we won't take said test without a fight!
Our telephones continues to behave eccentrically, hopefully I've sorted it once and for all this evening. I would go to bed, but I've drunk rather a lot of Expresso tonight, so am a little wired at the moment... I'll just have to prattle on a bit more...
Now reading: Shaking hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by LGen Roméo Dallaire. I've read so much Dan Brown style trash recently I thought I'd try something different for a while, broaden my horizons and all that... This is a first hand account of the (apparently disasterous and ineffective) UN peace operation during the Rwandan Tutsi & Hutu genocide of 1994 and then failure by the permanent member states to provide sufficient support. Dallaire is Canadian so it's a bit about the efforts of my new country too, maybe I'll just read canadian books for a year? I'm not expecting much enterment from this one!

No comments: